Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Conversations With Drew's Big Brother

Tonight I was desperately trying to get Ian to go to bed. It just wasn't happening. He was sitting on Daddy's lap having his cheerios. I calmly said..."let's go to bed Ian". To which he promptly replied "be patient Mommy....you need to wait."

I think his Daddy has been talking to him about Mommy not being patient and not waiting. Hmmmmm? Just had such a familiar ring when he said it.

Maybe Ian decided he's heard enough whining from Mommy about not having baby Drew home.....Hmmmm?

One of our frequent conversations revolves around names. "what's your name mommy?", "what's that little guy's name"?, etc. Lately Ian has asked "what's baby Drew's name?"....and I reply "Drew." "No mommy, what's his BIG name" (translated...full name). So, I say "Drew Austin Q.." "NO Mommy...Autin my friend at school"....I go on to say "it's OK Ian, more than one person can have the same name". Ian asks again..."what's baby Drew's name?"....here we go again :) "Drew Austin Qu...." "NO MOMMY....Autin at school...baby Drew not Autin".

I've tried explaining it in relation to my daddy and step-father. My Daddy's name was Dewey and my step father's name was Austin. So...I tell Ian that mommy was lucky and had TWO Daddy's...one named Dewey and one named Austin. Guess what he said? "NO MOMMY....Autin my friend at school".

Charlie thought that he'd explain it by using his dad as an example. Charlie's dad's name was Charlie. What did Ian say..."No daddy...that's your name".

Tonight though, I think...maybe...we're making a little progress. Ian started with "what's your 2 daddy's names Mommy?" I told him. Then he said "what's Baby Drew's name?" "Drew Austin Quang Conner" (woo, hoo...got the whole name out). Then he said "Drew's name not Autin Quang...it's Baby Drew."

Looks like Mommy need to be patient and see what Ian decides Drew's name actually is.

6 comments:

Julie said...

I love conversations with three year olds. Ian is just too cute for words. He's going to be a great big brother.

Daniel and Jamie said...

That is so cute!!!

The Hills said...

So true!!! Precious Ian will have the perfect name for his little brother....praying for quick travel for you!!
Scarlett

Cindy said...

I am wiping tears from laughing. That sounds very familiar--only mine is a little Indian girl who is 5!! What FUN!!!

CindyO.

Neil, Amy and The Girls said...

I love conversations with kids. They are so honest and funny! I just love their reasoning. Hopefully Ian will meet his brother soon!!!!!!

Heather M. said...

Oh Nadra, how cute!! Our boys have had some pretty funny converstions about their baby sister...it usually ends with "well, I'm not changing her diaper!" Hope they all get to be big brothers soon!!!

Heather M.
Waiting to Travel