Monday, April 28, 2008

When You Don't Know What To Say

International adoption is a roller coaster of emotions...I've said that before. It's true now, more than ever. Praise God, we are not affected by the latest announcement regarding Vietnam adoptions. But, many of our friends that we've met through this process are.

For those that don't know...I'll give you the condensed version. Basically, adoptions in Vietnam will be shutting down again on September 1st. This make me profoundly sad. There are still several families on the waiting list with our agency that may or may not see their families expand with a child from Vietnam. That just makes my heart hurt. But then when I think about all of the children in orphanages in Vietnam that will never have a forever family...makes me even sadder.

We're one of the lucky ones...so far. We have a referral and fortunately we're working with an agency that has a very good reputation in Vietnam. Dillon was one of a handful of agencies that stayed in Vietnam when adoptions ceased in 2002. They continued to provide humanitarian aid. From what we know, we should not be affected or delayed at all...at least not delayed any more than we already have been. As I said in an earlier post, we're finished with the Vietnamese approval process...now we're just waiting on the US to approve.

My heart goes out to the families that are grieving tonight, and in the days to come, for a child that will not come. While I may not know the words to say, my prayers will be with you.

3 comments:

Willis said...

My heart grieves as well hearing this news. The picture of those children left behind at the orphanage will forever be embedded into my mind. Their bare feet on the dusty road behind us. . . waving as we left.

Heather

Bill, Paula & Will Cook said...

Well said, Nadra.

Julie said...

Beautifully said. I think we have all been struggling on how to express our sadness to the families that are affected by this news.