Thursday, July 31, 2008

Voila.....Pictures At Last






OK folks...here you go. Just a few shots from the past couple of days. We are so, so blessed and thankful. Drew is a sweet, sweet baby. He is in to EVERYTHING. He's fast and pretty stubborn...but then he'll smile and scrunch up his little nose and all is well.
Thursday was a LONG day. We got up early and headed to the center around 8:00am. When we got there, Drew was upstairs with his nanny, Thao. She is the sweetest young lady and her little heart was just breaking. I think she'd been crying for quite some time. We left her alone with him for a few minutes and then one of the other nannies came in and told her to give him to me. She did and I tried my best to say thank you in Vietnamese. She kissed Drew one last time and literally ran into the next room. My heart just broke for her. Note to future travelers....go ahead a take a few diapers with you. They give you formula and "diapers" that resemble sanitary napkins. :)
We met with the orphanage director and then headed to the Local Justice department for the Giving and Receiving Ceremony. Drew fell asleep during the ride over and slept through the entire ceremony. In the middle of our ceremony, the door opened and about a dozen young men and women walked in. There were students studying to be social workers (I think). The officials said a few quick things, asked Charlie and Andy to make statements, we signed some papers and then it was photo op time.
Then the long van ride back to HCM started. Drew did GREAT. Not all of the time...but about 5 of the hours. He got really fussy while we were stuck in rush hour traffic near HCM. Then the "grieving cry" came out. He cried, cried, cried...threw up...threw up on mommy...cried, cried, cried...threw up on mommy again. Charlie took him so I could at least clean up a little. Finally he fell asleep about 30 minutes before we arrived at our hotel. That was about 6:30pm....I think.
We checked into our room and then Charlie went to the Tax Center to get a few things. For the first time ever, I changed a baby's diaper while he was lying on his stomach. Then I put his pajamas on him. Trying desperately not to wake him up. I succeeded. He slept until about 2:45am this morning. I gave him a bottle and he went right back to sleep and slept until 5:00am. He ate some cereal and then we went up to the wonderful breakfast buffet. He ate about a third of my omelet....plus some congee.
Today is a busy day. The Daddy's went out this morning to apply for the passports. Then we all went to have the passport photos taken. We came back to the hotel and the Daddy's went to purchase our tickets to Hanoi. In a little over an hour we go for his medical check.
He's very sweet and catches on very quickly. I'll try to post some more tomorrow and some more pictures when I can.
Ian....mommy and daddy love you and miss you very much. You're going to have so much fun chasing your little brother around when he comes home.

23 comments:

Kristi W. said...

Yeah for pictures!! Drew is absolutely precious!!! I love the family pic, can't wait to see one with Ian in it too. Glad you all are doing well and survived the first puking episode. ;) My prayers are with you as you complete your journey!

Kristi W.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you and he is so cute...

Love to all

YBFITWWW me

The Labontes said...

Sooo good to see you with your little guy! He is a doll. Love the pic where he's face to face with Charlie.

Enjoy!
Kristy

Sheri said...

Drew is so cute!!! Everyone looks so happy!
Sheri

kristin said...

what a sweet boy! he's just adorable. you make a beautiful family. :)

Fenwick 5 said...

He is so precious,can't wait to see more pictures,have a great day..Gidget

Lisa said...

So great to finally see him in your arms!

Pam said...

FINALLY!! Now my life can resume. ;) I'm so glad to see you together finally. He looks great with you! Charlie has the same expression on his face as he did with Ian those first few days. That is so awesome to see. Brought a smile to my face.
I'm sorry about the vomiting. Brings back vivid memories of the Kolkata airport-hot, crowded, projectile vomit, baby wipes-only brown water from the bathroom. Not fun. You have my sympathy friend! I pray little Drew begins to feel settled with you both soon.
Love you!
Pam

Unknown said...

Oh, I am in love! He's just so beautiful! LOVE the pic of the 3 of you together, FINALLY!

I am DYING to meet you at the airport guys!!

Donna

Heather M. said...

OH, so sweet!!! Glad to see you are all doing well! Keep the posts coming....the pictures are great!

Heather M.
Dillon

Kim said...

Drew is so cute! So nice to see pictures of you with your sweet baby boy!

Congratulations and enjoy the rest of your time in Vietnam!

Anonymous said...

Nadra:
It is SO wonderful to see Drew with his Mommy and Daddy.He is such a cutie! Can't wait to see a family pic of all of you together!
Leveta

Julie & Patrick said...

Finally, those precious pictures! You guys look so good together...just need to add Ian!!

Wishing for continued safe and happy travels!!

Julie R

Anonymous said...

I just love seeing you holding Drew! Wonderful pictures. I can't wait to read and see more. :)

www.beyond blessed.com said...

Nadra,
I love the picutres! He is just a doll! I can't wait to see him in person. Praying for all of you.

Julie said...

Yeah for pictures. A beautiful family. Congrats, we are just thrilled for you. Hoping that Drew's transition is going well. Thinking of you right now.

Tricia and Kirk said...

I love the pictures! I'm so glad that you are finally there and that everything is going well.

Cindy said...

Praise God!! I love your pictures Nadra!! He is one beautiful child and y'all look WONDERFUL together.

I can't wait to see you guys and Ian together.....

The Hills said...

Nadra...I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to you!! The pics are wonderful!Praying for the rest of your journey!
Scarlett

Willis said...

The pictures brought the biggest smile to my face. I love the one of Drew and his daddy head to head smiling. Enjoy those first few days with your new son. As you well know there's nothing like that bonding time. So, so, so happy for you!!!

Heather (Rocco's mom)

lori said...

Hooray! There you all are together....it is so great to see!! Sorry about the rough car ride - I know how exhausting it is, never mind with some vomitting thrown in. Hope all goes well for the rest of your trip - congrats!! Hope Ian is well and resting up to be a big brother :)

Kathy said...

He is just gorgeous! I'm so happy for all of you!

Anonymous said...

I was just surfing for Voila toys for my son when I came across your blog site. Beautiful young son you have there.

I, too, am an adoptee from Vietnam, though much older now. I was taken during the Vietnam War, but have since returned to discover my culture and roots. I live and work in Ho Chi Minh City now.

I hope you collect everything you can for him because he very likely one day will want to re-discover it -- especially the early moments of his life that he spent with his primary caregiver, Thao.

Best of luck in your journey...

Brent Kurkoski
(Tran Duc Thien)